Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pesto!

I think you keep basil plants from going to seed by harvesting/cutting them back, right? I hope so, because I want to still have basil when my tomatoes come in so I can make some killer Caprese salad! I've got black, yellow, and red tomatoes growing, and they are going to be epic.

But for now, the basil... What better way to use basil than by making pesto, amiright? Auntie and I used to make pesto when I lived in Oregon. We'd buy big bags of basil from a local farmer - to the tune of, like, $10 for a paper grocery bag full. Can you imagine?! But it's even better to be able to get it straight from your own garden - to the tune of Free. Today I was able to make enough to freeze,  share with my kid, and make some stellar pizza and pasta for dinner tonight. Tomorrow we will all be 10 pounds heavier.


2014-07-24 13.03.57

It was so good, I was eating it with a spoon. Serious. Here's the recipe I used (that Auntie taught me) in case you want to make some of this delicious goodness yourself.

Put enough basil in your food processor to almost fill it to the top.
Add 1/2 c. pine nuts (or walnuts), 4-6 garlic cloves, and 1 c. shredded Parmesan and process until everything's itty bitty... Then, while it's running, pour in 1 tsp of lemon juice, and then olive oil until it's the right consistency (about 1/4 - 1/2 c. of olive oil should do it).

Eat what you can while it's fresh, and freeze the rest. It helps keep the pesto nicer if you pour a little extra olive oil on the very top of the pesto before you freeze it. Keeps in the freezer for a year. Just in time to make some more!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! There's something so satisfying about eating food fresh from your garden - next time put it into one of the lovely bowls you made on the wheel to get full satisfaction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that would look beautiful! But I have to admit, I pretty much achieved full satisfaction just by eating the pesto... lol

    ReplyDelete